Roland AIRA TR-8 Rhythm Performer
About This Product
Roland AIRA TR-8 Rhythm Performer
Authentic TR-808 and TR-909 Experience in a Modern, Performance-Ready Instrument
The TR-8 is a performance rhythm machine that melds the legendary sound and vibe of the TR-808 and TR-909 with features and functions for the modern age. Genre-defining sounds, classic effects, unprecedented live pattern manipulation, and solid, intuitive performance controls. It’s the TR...evolved.
Capturing the Originals
- Full reproduction of the classic TR-808 and TR-909 rhythm machines, based on original design spec sheets and detailed analog circuit analysis of many original TR machines, including Roland’s own pristine units.
- Newly developed Analog Circuit Behavior (ACB) technology allows part-by-part analyses and faithful recreation of tonality and behavior, including the smooth variations of tone that occur when you work the controls of each instrument.
- Obsessive attention to detail, such as reproducing the original TR’s unique variations in tone that occur when multiple instruments are entered in accented steps.
- Authentic 16-step sequencer with faithful TR-REC behavior, including A and B pattern variations and the ability to play instruments and record to steps in real time.
- 16 stunning kits made up of 11 instrument types, including custom dream kits that use both TR-808 and TR-909 sounds.
- Large Tempo knob with Tap Tempo button and continuous Fine and Shuffle adjustment knobs.
- Control the intensity of the Accent function with a dedicated knob.
- Per-step reverb and delay effects with dedicated knobs.
- Mix sources connected to the External In jacks with built-in per-step Side Chain function for rhythmic ducking and gating effects.
- Scatter lets you freak and tweak your grooves with real-time control and perfect sync.
- 7 segment, 4 character LED display and 16 per-step pads with bold, full-color LEDs.
- Real-time pattern creation up to 32 steps with on-the-fly step count adjustment.
- Rec/Play modes have been eliminated, enabling seamless switching between step input and real-time pattern making and performance.
- Real-time play of 4 different types of rolls (8th, 16th, VARI 1, VARI 2) and per-instrument mutes.
- Pattern copy and pattern randomization for rapid, spontaneous creativity.
- Two assignable analog outputs and full parallel outputs via USB for total mixing flexibility.
Unleashed upon an unsuspecting world in the 1980s, the TR-808 and TR-909 produce arguably the most influential drum sounds in modern music. Not only have they appeared on thousands of dance tracks over the course of three decades, they’ve helped define the sound of entire musical genres. From rap and house to techno and trance, the TR-808 and TR-909 have left an indelible mark on the art and culture of music. Roll the drums.
In developing the TR-8, we’ve obsessively analyzed and faithfully recreated every detail and nuance of the analog circuitry of these legendary rhythm machines—the boom and snap of the 808; the thud of the 909; the robotic click of an 808 rim shot or a classic 909 snare roll. It’s all here. But not content with mere recreations, we’ve enhanced these classic instruments with capabilities that go far beyond the original units.
Tune and Decay knobs are now present on every instrument, and the Bass Drum and Snare Drum have additional controls such as Attack, Snappy, and Comp. This allows for a wide variety of tones, from subtle ambient percussion to pounding dance grooves. Per-step effects and the massively addictive Scatter function take things into entirely new territory.
With the authentic tone and character of the original units and new sound-tweaking capabilities inspired by legions of users, the TR-8 breathes new life into the sounds we all know and love.
Roland AIRA TR-8 Specifications
User Drum Kits: 16
User Patterns: 16
Steps per 1 measure: 1 – 16 steps x 2 (Variation A/B)
Tempo: 40 – 300
Instruments & Controls
BASS DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, ATTACK, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
SNARE DRUM: LEVEL, TUNE, SNAPPY, COMP, DECAY, INST SELECT
LOW TOM, MID TOM, HIGH TOM, RIM SHOT, HAND CLAP, CLOSED HIHAT, OPEN HIHAT, CRASH CYMBAL, RIDE CYMBAL: LEVEL, TUNE, DECAY, INST SELECT
Effects and Controls
ACCENT: LEVEL, STEP
REVERB: LEVEL, TIME, GATE, STEP
DELAY: LEVEL, TIME, FEEDBACK, STEP
EXTERNAL IN: LEVEL, SIDE CHAIN, STEP
TR-REC, PATTERN SELECT, INST PLAY, INST REC, DRUM KIT SEL, DRUM INST SEL
MODE buttons: 6
VARIATION buttons: A, B
LAST STEP button
SCATTER ON button
SCATTER DEPTH button
Power Switch (Rear)
Display: 7 segments, 4 characters (LED)
Effects: REVERB, DELAY, SIDE CHAIN
Scatter: Types: 10
Nominal Input Level: -10 dBu
Input Impedance: 100 k ohms
Nominal Output Level: -10/+4 dBu (Selectable)
MIX OUT, ASSIGNABLE OUT: 1 k ohm
PHONES: 130 ohms
PHONES jack: 1/4-inch stereo phone type
MIX OUT (L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
ASSIGNABLE OUT (A, B) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
EXTERNAL IN (L, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
USB port: USB type B (Audio, MIDI)
DC IN jack
USB: Audio, MIDI
Power Supply: AC adaptor
Current Draw: 1,000 mA
Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
Size and Weight
Width: 400 mm / 15-3/4 inches
Depth: 260 mm / 10-1/4 inches
Height: 65 mm / 2-9/16 inches
Weight: 1.9 kg / 4 lbs. 4 oz.
(1) Owner's manual
(1) Leaflet "USING THE UNIT SAFELY"
(1) AC adaptor